Thursday 28 June 2007

Withdrawal Symptoms

We've had some fairly hefty storms recently. The worst was last Thursday. It was really hot, and the work in a neighboring apartment was getting on our nerves, so Steven and I left the flat around noon. I had arranged to show a few friends my quilt top - great occasion as that group hasn't done much together for over a year. Steven hung out in Jerry's office while I drove over to the shopping centre to leave the car there and do a few errands. Then I hung out in Jerry's office, too, until time for the Fete de Musique concert Jerry was playing in. Just before 5, as we were waiting for the concert to begin, the storm started. It was really something watching it from the top of one of the UN towers: Sand (or cement?) swirled up from the building site where they are putting up a new conference building. The street lights swayed back and forth. lightning flashed across the sky... And I had left the roof windows open.

We got home at about 10. Things could have been a lot worse. There was a lot to tidy up, of course. A large puddle to mop up in Steven's area. The sheet drawers are too full to close properly, and water had gotten in there, so ALL the sheets needed to go through a rinse cycle and then be dried. Some of the drawers on my sewing desk were also open - not overfull, but they stick, and I get too impatient to force them closed. Years ago, when I was pregnant with Edward, we travelled to England, and at one of the National Trust houses I bought some lavender scented drawer liners. Back then those drawers had clothes in them, and I enjoyed the scent while it lasted. Even after the scent was gone I left the paper in. It was pretty, and I had no good replacement for it. Well, when the paper got wet, it released much more scent than it had even new, only the past 20-some odd years did not do the perfume any good. What a stench! still recognizable as lavender, but not at all pleasant.

One of the first things I checked, of course, was the sewing machine, and at first glance it seemed to have stayed dry. Later I realized that there was water on the glass plate it sits on. So I unplugged it, and since Monday it has been at the service place. It was overdue for service anyway, and I had fully intended to drop it off there between the flat and the house, so this is only a bit early, but I can't say how much I miss it. It seems as if even the hand projects I think of to start all need a few minutes at the machine to start with. And I have sorted through all the pile of mending that was on the machine. Some of the trousers I should have mended for Steven don't fit any more. One pair was waiting for elastic in back to make the waist fit. Those are fine without the elastic now. See - the mending takes care of itself if you leave it long enough! But there is more mending that I found that I am just longing to do. I'm honest enough to admit that this great desire will probably fly out the window when I get my machine set up again.

Lat Saturday I was at an exhibit of fabric art postcards by customers of my local Patchwork shop. The store is called Exquisity, and the cards certainly lived up to that. There were lots of really great ideas, and I would like to work on some of those even more than I want to do the mending.

We got off very lightly though. Downtown the storm knocked a building crane over. Not only did it damage the building very badly that it was supposed to be helping repair, but it was in operation at the time. The driver did not survive. Trees and elecricwires were also down all over Vienna and the surrounding area.

Friday was another storm. We were out in the Wienerwald and got thoroughly wet, but again got off lightly - the lightning stayed a good distance away, the wids we experienced were bad, but nothing to what they were like other places, and the airport area had hail the size of chicken eggs, which we also missed. Barbara Streisand was in town, and her concert had to be called off Thursday night. Friday they went through with it, and they showed a bit on the news. 'I'm going to love you... come RAIN or come shine.' She looked wet. This week has been cooled and there has been rain, but no storms.

No comments: