Thursday 29 March 2007

Thread Art

I saw an article about works of art made out of spools of thread in New Scientist magazine, and sure enough, there are lots more pictures on the web at
http://www.devorahsperber.com/thread_works_index_html_and_2x2s/index.html

At first it kind of wows you: big copies of famous works of art made out of spools of thread then viewed through lenses that pull it all together. Then you realize that 5000 spools comes down to about 70 x 70 - a fairly normal size cross stitch pattern for a card. The only difference is the size of the coloured square of thread. And because the squares we use are so small the eye itself can turn the pixels into a picture. Not only that, but we can use various stitches and fibres and add beads, and our works can be easily mailed to friends, or hung on the wall in our apartments... OK Devorah Sperber is an artist. I'm 'just' a craft person. I think I like it better that way. And I use up plenty of thread my way, too.

No comments: